Wednesday 12 June 2013

Such Is Life: Episode II (Part III)

Lorraine lets her feelings be known; Cathy reunites with her family; Norma has a few words for Lester.



(At Jacob and Leslie’s House: the Kitchen)

(Jacob walks into the kitchen as Leslie is making breakfast.)

Jacob.  Something smells good. What are you cooking?

Leslie.  Eggs and bacon. They’ll be ready in a minute.

Jacob.  Okay then. (Takes a seat at the kitchen table.) Leslie, I think we need to talk about last night.

Leslie.  (Walks over to the table with two plates, one for herself and one for Jacob.) I think we need to talk about last night too. (Sits down at the kitchen table across from Jacob.)

Jacob.  Now I know you and my mother aren’t on the best of terms.

Leslie.  Jacob, it’s more than that. What happened last night is something I do not want happening again. I came so close to decking her last night, it’s not even funny. Things need to change around here. You need to talk to that woman. And if you don’t want to, I will. Because I’ve had it.

Jacob.  What do you want me to do? She’s my mother.

Leslie.  That doesn’t mean you can’t put your foot down! Stand up for yourself! Take a stand! Let her know she can’t just keep coming over here and going on off us and pulling stunts like last night!

Jacob.  She’s not going to react well to this, you know.

Leslie.  I don’t care! Jacob, she already hates me anyway! The woman doesn’t react well to anything that she doesn’t want to hear!

Jacob.  Leslie-

Leslie.  (Interrupts.) Quite honestly, I think that woman needs to be institutionalized. I think it would do her, and us, a world of good.

Jacob.  Now let’s not go that far.

Leslie.  Jacob, I truly think that woman has a problem. And I think some time in an institution would do her a world of good. Don’t tell me you haven’t thought about it at least once or twice.

Jacob.  No, I haven’t! I know my mother can be a little . . . high-strung, but that doesn’t mean she needs to be committed.

Leslie.  Jacob, she is more than high-strung.

Jacob.  Well, it’s not going to happen no matter what you say so you might as well just drop it.

Leslie.  Fine then. Oh, and from now on, my mother babysits, not yours.

(End of scene.)



(At Marge’s House)

(Frank is sitting at the kitchen table, feeling depressed, as Marge cooks breakfast and goes on about what happened last night.)

Marge.  Oh, I just can’t get over it! The way that girl talked to me! Ugh, she had no right! (She lifts the eggs from the pan and puts them on a plate. She brings it over to Frank.) Here you go. (The phone rings.) Ugh, who on earth could that be? (Picks up the phone.) Hello? (Listens.) Oh, hi Lester. (Listens.) Oh, I’m all right. Just didn’t have a good night last night is all. (Listens.) I got into an argument with Leslie. Of all the women my son could have chosen to marry, why on earth did he have to pick that one. (Listens.) Yes, yes I need to borrow your vacuum cleaner if it’s available. Mine isn't working at the moment for some reason. (Listens.) I’m sorry, who has it? (Listens.) Norma? Ugh, I don’t feel up to seeing her right now. (Listens.) Oh, you will? (Listens.) Oh, that would be so helpful to me. Just call me when you’re on your way over here with it. (Listens.) Frank? Oh, why he’s over here right now having some breakfast. (Listens.) No, he’s living with me for a little while. (Listens.) Well, he was but Norma kicked him out. (Listens.) Yeah, I don’t know why but you know Norma. She’s not the easiest person to live with. (Listens.) Okay, I’ll let you go. What time should I expect to see you? (Listens.) Early afternoon? Okay, that sounds fine. (Listens.) All right, I’ll see you then. (Listens.) Okay, bye. (She hangs up the phone.)

Frank.  You didn’t have to tell him I was kicked out.

Marge.  He was going to find out one way or another. If I didn’t say anything, Norma would have told him when he goes over there later on today.

(End of scene.)



(At Fred and Lorraine Carver’s House; the Kitchen)

(Lorraine is standing over the stove as makes herself breakfast. Fred enters.)

Fred.  Morning, dear.

(Lorraine says nothing. Fred takes notice.)


           I said “Morning, dear”.

Lorraine.  I heard you.

Fred.  Oh. Well, um, what’s for breakfast?

Lorraine.  I’m making myself some eggs.

Fred. 
Me as well?

Lorraine. 
Your breakfast is in the cabinet over there.

(Fred goes over to the cabinet and opens it.)

Fred.  Cereal?

Lorraine.  Yep.

Fred.  I was hoping for a hot breakfast.

Lorraine.  Well, I’m done with mine. Grab yourself a spatula and have fun.

(Lorraine goes over to the kitchen table and has a seat.)


Fred.  Okay, Lorraine. What’s this about?

Lorraine.  What’s what about, Fred?

Fred.  You know what I’m talking about. This, the way you’re acting. This hostility towards me.

Lorraine.  I would think you can figure out why.

Fred.  . . . This is about last night, isn’t it? Look, Lorraine, I called and apologized but I got tied up.

Lorraine.  Again.

Fred.  What?

Lorraine.  You called and apologized because you got tied up at work, again. (Small pause. Fred says nothing.) It’s always because of work lately! Every time we have plans or something going on, I’m left hanging by myself because some sort of business needs taking care of. Last night, we were supposed to have dinner. You never showed up. Same thing last week and the week before. Last Saturday, there was that get together at Eileen Stanley’s house. I told everyone you were running a bit late but by the end of night, they all had pretty much gotten the hint that you weren’t coming.

Fred.  I told you the meeting I was in ran far later than I expected it to. And when I got home that night, I asked you how it was and you told me that you had had a lovely time.

Lorraine.  That doesn’t mean I wasn’t still hurt. Fred, you need to sit down and figure out your priorities because I’ve had it. I am sick and tired of being stood up for the sake of that bloody factory.

Fred.  It’s that “bloody factory” that keeps the roof over our heads, you know!

Lorraine.  Oh, honestly Fred!

Fred.  Lorraine, what am I supposed to do?

Lorraine.  I don’t know but you better do something because I‘m not taking this any longer!

(Lorraine exits the kitchen.)

(End of scene.)




(At Karen's House)

(Karen unlocks the front door and pushes it open it. She walks inside holding her sister's, Cathy, suitcases. Cathy follows her inside, slowly and nervously. Cathy has recently been declared healthy enough to leave the clinic she's been at for many years and is nervous about being home and facing the world after being away for so long. She hopes to reconnect with her family, but more specifically with her daughter, Jill.)

Karen.  (Drops the suitcases on the floor.) Well, here we are!

Cathy. 
(Nervously.) Are you sure you don't mind me staying here, Karen? If you do, I'll find somewhere else to stay.

Karen. 
Nonsense, you're my sister and I want you to stay here.

Cathy. 
Well, okay, as long I'm not being a burden to you.

Karen.  You're not! (Hugs Cathy.) Oh, we have so much catching up to do. (Pulls away.) But first, I think there's someone who will be very happy to see you.

(She leads Cathy to the living room, where they see Cathy's daughter, Jill, sitting on the couch reading a book.)


             Jill, there's someone who wants to see you.

(Jill gets up and turns to them. She notices her mother and is shocked to see that she has been released and is now standing before her.)


Jill.  Mom?! What . . . What are you doing here?!

Cathy.  Didn’t your Aunt Karen tell you? (The look on Jill’s face makes Cathy realize she didn’t.) Karen, you did tell Jill about my release, right?

Karen.  Actually... I didn't.

Jill.  (Angrily.) Aunt Karen, why didn't you tell me my mother was being released?

Karen. 
I wanted it to be a surprise. I wanted you to be able to see your mother walk into the room, whole and well.

Cathy.  Its taken years for it to happen but I'm finally well again.

(She searches through her purse to find her medication. She finds it and holds up a container of pills for Jill to see.)
             My doctor told me that as long as I take two of these twice a day, I should be fine."

Jill.  What is that?

Cathy.  My medication. It's the stuff that keeps me... whole.

Jill.  Then you really have... you really are?

Cathy.  Yes. I finally am.

(Jill smiles. She walks over to Cathy and gives her a hug. Cathy embraces her daughter. She feels a tear fall down her cheek.)

Cathy.  I have missed you so much

Jill.  I've missed you to, mom.

(Karen watches the warm reunion, happy to finally have her sister back.)

(End of scene.)



(At Norma’s House)

(Norma is outside weeding her front yard when Lester pulls up in the driveway.)

Norma.  (She waves and then stands to her feet as Lester gets out of his car.) Well, this is a surprise. I didn’t expect to see you drop by.

Lester.  I know this is unannounced but Marge called. She needs to borrow my vacuum cleaner. I came to see if you were done with it.

Norma.  Oh, of course. Follow me. It’s in the house.

(Norma leads Lester inside the house to the living room. She opens the closet underneath the stairs  and pulls out his vacuum.)
              Here you are.

Lester.  Thanks.

Norma.  Do you need any help getting this into the back of your truck?

Lester.  No thanks. I’ve got it.

Norma.  All right then. Do you need anything else before you leave?

Lester.  No. No, this is all I needed . . . So, um . . . Marge told me Frank is living with her now for the time being. Things didn’t work out between you two.

Norma.  I was fed up. I had had enough.

Lester. 
Don’t you think you could have been a little more sensitive? He’s going through a rough time right now.

Norma.  Just because he’s going through a rough time doesn’t mean I have to suffer. Lester, you should have seen it. Beer cans all over the floor. He hardly showered so there was a foul odor coming from him. And he just . . . it was just a mess having him here.

Lester.  Maybe with a little more time, you might have-

Norma.  (Interrupts.) Maybe with a little more time, I might have killed him. I just couldn’t take it anymore. (Norma pulls out a cigarette and lights it.)

Lester.  He couldn’t have been that bad.

Norma.  You sound just like Trudy when I told her.

Lester.  You told Trudy?

Norma.  I went over there and begged her to take him off my hands. I was desperate.

Lester.  I just think you could have been more sensitive.

Norma.  More sensitive?! Well, in case you have forgotten, Mr. Sensitivity, neither you nor Hector would take him in. I, at least, did.

Lester.  It wasn’t that we didn’t want him. It was that we didn’t have enough space.

Norma.  Don’t you give me that bull. We all know you have plenty of space at your house. And so does Hector. Don’t you dare go talking to me about sensitivity when you don’t even have the decency to take in your own brother in his time of need! You have your vacuum. Now take it, leave, and don’t bother coming back.

(Lester takes his vacuum and brings it to his truck. He puts it in the back and then climbs into the front seat. He starts the truck and pulls out of the driveway. Norma watches as he drives away and she shakes her head in frustration before going back inside her house.)

(End of scene.)



(At Lena’s Pub)

(Jed walks into the pub and takes a seat at the counter. Willow Tweed takes notice.)

Willow.  What on earth are you doing here? Aren't there some deer you can be out shooting or something?

Jed.  Ugh, I thought today was supposed to be your day off.

Willow.  It was but Miss Lena is sick today so I’m filling in for her.

Jed.  (Rolls eyes.) Oh, joy...

(Jeannette appears.)

Jeannette.  I’ll take it from here, Willow. (Willow steps aside.) Sorry about that, Jed.

Jed.  Don’t worry about it. I can’t expect the likes of you to control the likes of something like her.

Jeannette.  What can I do you for, Jed?

Jed.  A beer. And make sure she doesn’t spit in it.

(Willow smirks.)

Jeannette.  Coming right up, Jed.

Jed.  So Miss Lena’s sick, eh?

Jeannette.  Yeah, she’s come down with the stomach bug. It’s been going around quite a bit lately. One of my daughters just got over it. (Places a glass with beer on the counter.) Here you go.

Jed.  Thanks. Um, do give Miss Lena my best.

Jeannette.  I’ll do that.

(End of scene.)



(At Lena’s Pub; Lena’s Living Room)

(Lena is lying down on the couch while Hattie stands nearby holding a bowl of soup.)

Hattie.  Here you go, Miss Lena. A nice, hot bowl of soup. This should have you back on your feet in no time.

Lena.  (Sits up.) Ugh. . . Thanks, Hattie. (Sips the soup.) Hmm. Interesting taste. What kind of soup is this?

Hattie.  It’s an old family recipe. It’s been in my family for generations. I gave this to Didi once when she had a bug. Within just a few hours after eating it, she was up and about, going on with her day. You would have never known that she’d been sick.

Lena.  I’ll take your word for it. (Sips the soup.) How are things going downstairs?

Hattie.  Things seemed to be going fine when I got here. The place was calm. Jeannette looked as though she had everything under control.

Lena.  Well, I was mostly worried about Willow. I worry she might get into it with either Jed or one of the other customers.

Hattie.  Willow was fine. When I came in, she was serving drinks and making small talk.

Lena.  Well, that’s good. Oh. . .

Hattie.  Anything else I can get you, Miss Lena?

Lena.  No thanks, Hattie. You’ve done enough already. I need to go lie down for a little while. I was up half the night and maybe some sleep will do me some good.

Hattie.  Would you like me to help you to your room?

Lena.  (Gets up.) No thanks. I think I can make it. Thanks for everything, Hattie. I’d hug you but I don’t want to get you sick as well. Oh. . . I’m going to lie down. (Heads to her room.) Good night, Hattie.

(End of scene.)



(At Karen’s House)

(After getting herself settled in her room, Cathy comes back downstairs and joins Karen and Jill in the living room.)

Karen.  Did you get yourself settled in?

Cathy.  Yes, I did. I'm feeling rather tired though so I think I'll go to bed.

Karen.  Of course.

Cathy.  But before I do, where are Monica and Gavin? I realized I haven't seen them yet.

Karen.  Well, Gavin went away for the weekend with his boyfriend. He called me while you were upstairs.

Cathy.  Oh. . . And Monica?

(Karen and Jill don't answer. They look at each other and then put their heads down. Cathy assumes something has happened to Monica.)

            What? What is it?

Karen.  Cathy, Monica’s not here.

Cathy.  Where, where is she?

(Karen doesn’t answer right away.)

             Karen, where is Monica? What’s happened to her?

Karen.   . . . While you were . . . gone, Monica became . . . unraveled.

Cathy.  What do you mean?

Karen.  Cathy, Monica had a mental breakdown.

(Cathy gasps.)

             She's been institutionalized for many years now.

(Cathy is horrified. She tries to digest this information and doesn't say anything, which worries Karen and Jill. Jill walks over to Cathy to make sure she is okay.)

Jill.  Mom, are you okay?

Cathy.  Yes...yes, I'm fine.

(She takes a seat on the couch. Karen sits next to her, patting Cathy’s back as she tries to comfort her.)

             I always thought I was the ill member of the family. Monica, she. . . she was always one of the strong ones. I would have never expected her to have a . . . How did it happen?

Karen.  I'll tell you the details at a later time. But right now, you seem awfully tired and I insist you get some sleep. We can talk more about in the morning.

Cathy.  (A tear falls down her cheek and  she wipes it.) Okay. (Cathy gets up to go to her room. Before she goes, she turns to Karen.) Karen, I want to see Monica.

Karen.  Cathy, I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Cathy.  Karen, I need to! I need to see her!

Karen.  All right. I'll take you there at some point. Some point soon. I promise.

(Cathy doesn’t say another word. With tears in her eyes, she makes her way back upstairs. Karen and Jill watch her go.)

Karen.  I knew I shouldn't have told her.

Jill.  Aunt Karen, she was going to find out sooner or later.

Karen.  Yes, I know. But I’m worried, her seeing Monica again, for the first time in years . . . with Monica in the condition that she's in. I mean, who knows how this is going to affect either one of them!

Jill.  Aunt Karen, try and get a hold of yourself! I’m sure it will all go fine.

Karen.  You're right. Because she's not going. I'm going upstairs right now to tell her.

(Karen starts up the stairs but is stopped by Jill.)

Jill.  Aunt Karen, you can't do that! You can't control her life like this! She needs to be able to be independent and she won't be able to if she has you watching and controlling her every move.

Karen.  I know. (Comes back down the stairs.)

Jill.  Now her doctor said that as long as she takes her medication, she should be fine.

(End of scene.)


© 2013 David J. McRae

No comments:

Post a Comment